Have you ever received a call from 02045996870, claiming to be from BT, Sky, Virgin Media, or another phone company? If so, you might have been targeted by a scam that has been reported by many people across the UK. The callers from this number offer you a discount on your phone bill, a free SIM card, or a refund for overcharging. They then ask you to confirm your personal and financial details or to make a payment through a link they send you. However, these callers are not who they say they are. They are fraudsters who use a technique called spoofing to make it appear that they are calling from a legitimate London number 02045996870, when in fact they are not. In this article, we will explain how this scam works, how to spot it, and how to protect yourself from it.
Scam calls from 02045996870
Scam calls are unsolicited phone calls that attempt to deceive or defraud the recipients. They may try to obtain personal or financial information, sell fake products or services, or trick people into paying money for various reasons. Scam calls are a global problem that affects millions of people every year. According to the UK Office of Communications, there were 2.6 billion nuisance calls and messages in 2020, of which 51% were scam calls 1.
One of the numbers that has been reported to be involved in scam calls is 02045996870. 02045996870 is a landline number that originates from London, England. The company responsible for this number is TelcoSwitch Limited, but most of the calls made from this number are not from TelcoSwitch. Instead, they are from scammers who pretend to be representatives from O2, a popular telecommunications service provider. Their primary motive is to trick unsuspecting individuals into revealing their personal information, such as account details, passwords, or verification codes. They use this information to hack into O2 accounts, causing a great deal of distress and inconvenience for the victims 2.
Tips to avoid scam calls from 02045996870
The importance of awareness and vigilance in avoiding scam calls cannot be overstated. Scam calls can cause serious harm to individuals and businesses, such as identity theft, financial loss, or emotional distress. Therefore, it is essential to be able to recognize and report scam calls, and to protect oneself from falling prey to them. Some of the tips to avoid scam calls are:
- Do not answer calls from unknown or suspicious numbers like 02045996870. If you do answer, hang up immediately if you suspect it is a scam call.
- Do not give out any personal or financial information over the phone, unless you are sure of the caller’s identity and legitimacy. Verify the caller’s details by contacting the official company or organization directly, using a different phone or a trusted website.
- Do not follow any instructions or press any buttons on your phone, as this may lead to unwanted charges or access to your device.
- Do not click on any links or open any attachments in text messages or emails that claim to be from O2 or any other company, as they may contain malware or phishing attempts.
- Report any scam calls to the relevant authorities, such as O2, Action Fraud, or the Information Commissioner’s Office. You can also register your number with the Telephone Preference Service, which can help reduce the number of unwanted calls you receive from 02045996870.
In conclusion, scam calls are a serious threat that can cause various kinds of harm to individuals and businesses. One of the numbers that has been involved in scam calls is 02045996870, which is used by scammers who pretend to be from O2. To avoid falling victim to these scam calls, it is important to be aware, vigilant, and cautious. Do not answer or engage with unknown or suspicious callers, do not share any personal or financial information over the phone, and do not follow any instructions or click on any links that may compromise your device or account. If you receive a scam call, report it to the relevant authorities and register your number with the Telephone Preference Service. By following these tips, you can protect yourself and others from scam calls from 02045996870.